Monday, September 26, 2011

SH Running Challenge: First Month Running Schedule

Being the ultimate Type-A, I am much more likely to stick to a routine if it's written down and mapped out. Although I'm terrified to give running a try (Will I get hurt? Lost? Will I be too slow?), my anxiety is lessened by knowing exactly what I'll have to do.

This is going to be an 8 week challenge - I'm thinking I'm going to need 2 solid months of learning to run before I can actually judge my whole experience. I want to give myself a chance to actually build up endurance and see where I can be with timing, etc. Most 'running for beginners' websites suggest a 2 month trial as well.

So I will begin on Monday, October 3rd and end the week of Monday, November 28th. (Technically that is 9 weeks but with Thanksgiving thrown in there I'll give myself all of November.)

Almost time to hit the road...
I know "learning to run" isn't as easy as running out my front door every morning. In order to pace myself and avoid any injuries, I'm going to start out slow and work up. I'd rather take it easier to begin with and not scare myself off. I'd suggest this plan for anyone... don't go in with guns blazing expecting fitness miracles... give yourself time to work up to where you want to be. 

My fitness level now: I have a solid base > Walking 3-4 miles a day (for the past 3 years), Cardio (elliptical & bike 4 times a week for the past 2 years)

Where I want to be with running: I have no idea... Basically I just want to be comfortable going for a 30 minute run to clear my mind... I don't know how fast or slow one is supposed to go but since this is for me I'll take it slow :)

> I'll be using Daily Mile to track my runs

> I am using this beginner runners article to set my first month schedule! It's a 9 week schedule, running 3 times a week, that will get me up to 3 miles by the end of November. This Runners World article is another great 8 week beginners schedule if you wanted to try this one out instead.

> I will be using this stretching routine after all my runs - stretching is so important and I know it will help me feel better after each run!

I'll be taking baby steps to start off on the right foot...

FIRST MONTH RUNNING SCHEDULE:

Week 1 > 10/3 
Monday - Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. + Stretch
Tuesday - Take a 30 minute walk
Wednesday -
Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. + Stretch
Thursday - Take a 30 minute walk
Friday - Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. + Stretch

Week 2 > 10/10
Monday - Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes. + Stretch
Tuesday - Take a 30 minute walk
Wednesday -
Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes. + Stretch
Thursday - Take a 30 minute walk
Friday -  Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes. + Stretch

Week 3 > 10/17
Monday - Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
Jog 90 seconds, Walk 90 seconds, Jog 3 minutes, Walk three minutes. + Stretch
Tuesday - Take a 30 minute walk
Wednesday -
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
Jog 90 seconds, Walk 90 seconds, Jog 3 minutes, Walk three minutes. + Stretch
Thursday - Take a 30 minute walk
Friday - Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following: Jog 90 seconds, Walk 90 seconds, Jog 3 minutes, Walk three minutes. + Stretch

Week 4 > 10/24
Monday - Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then: Jog 3 minutes, Walk 90 seconds, Jog 5 minutes, Walk 2-1/2 minutes, Jog 3 minutes, Walk 90 seconds, Jog 5 minutes. + Stretch
Tuesday - Take a 30 minute walk
Wednesday -
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then: Jog 3 minutes, Walk 90 seconds, Jog 5 minutes, Walk 2-1/2 minutes, Jog 3 minutes, Walk 90 seconds, Jog 5 minutes. + Stretch
Thursday - Take a 30 minute walk
Friday - Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then: Jog 3 minutes, Walk 90 seconds, Jog 5 minutes, Walk 2-1/2 minutes, Jog 3 minutes, Walk 90 seconds, Jog 5 minutes. + Stretch

 > I'll be posting on Thursday this week before I begin my running on Monday all of the beginners tips that I've been collecting from family, friends and web research. Please leave ANY comments/suggestions that you have! I am open to any advice :)

> Also - WEDNESDAY IS YOUR LAST DAY to set your end of year goals and enter our Sunfood Giveaway! So like our Facebook page and Sunfood's Facebook page and then leave us your goals in a comment on the giveaway post and you are golden.

*My goals for the end of 2011 are:
1. Learn to run at a steady pace for 30 minutes (and enjoy it!)
2. Cook a new recipe every week (and share with S&Tea)
3. Figure out how to cook a great gluten free/dairy free holiday (Tgive or Cmas) meal that I can eat (Last year I had to give up all my favorites, this year I feel better prepared to cook!)

- Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment