Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Stephanie's RUNNING CHALLENGE > Pre-Challenge Thoughts

Brian Fantana: So the team pancake breakfast is tomorrow morning at nine, instead of eight.
Ron Burgundy: Oop... I almost forgot. I won't be able to make it fellas. Veronica and I are trying this new fad called uh, jogging. I believe it's jogging or yogging. it might be a soft j. I'm not sure but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild. 


I have a fitness confession to make... the last time I ran I was in first grade playing soccer, and I scored a goal (the only goal I've ever scored in my life) for the other team by mistake. THEN (oh yeah, same game) I was doing cartwheels (much more fun than running) on the field and gave my own goalie a bloody nose. Needless to say, I quit the team and told the coach (my Dad) that I'd rather "lay on the sidelines and watch butterflies." I haven't ran since.

I don't think I looked this fierce playing soccer...

Even though I'm still traumatized 20 years later... I'm ready to give running another try. Why the heck would I decide to run now? Because I'm ready for a workout challenge. I've been working out 4-5 times a week for around 2 years now and I am content with my workout. I do an easy 20-30 minutes on the elliptical or bike and some stretching, and I take the occasional gym class and walk 3-4 miles a day.

It would be cool to run around the city...

Why I have accepted a Strawberries & Tea Running Challenge:
1. My current workout routine is easy for me now.
2. I'd like to have the skill to run, so I can work out when I don't have access to a gym
3. I feel like running is a great stress reliever and easy to just take off and go.
4. I'm super goal oriented (My biggest hope is that I'll at least be successful at this challenge because I'll be good at sticking to weekly goals)
5. I've heard from so many people that running is addicting and I'm curious as to how that is possible because I think running is painful.
6. I love learning and this past year I've learned so much about foods and eating so now I want to open myself to learning about fitness as well
7. I know I can learn a lot from our readers about running and fitness so I hope you will get involved and help me out with any advice you have!
8. I hope to encourage our readers to try new things, and maybe if this whole running thing works for me you can use my starter schedule to give it a try too
9. If I know you're reading and waiting to see if I'll actually do it I'll be more motivated to give it my best :)
10.Bottom line: I LOVE a challenge, it's the best way to grow

We are still developing the actual goal and what my weekly running routine challenge will be. I am doing a bunch of research and talking to experienced runners on how to start off 'on the best foot'. Later this week we'll have a guest post on running for beginners and I'll also share my beginner's research. PLEASE SHARE any advice you have, and any beginner questions you have that we can cover.


Bring it on, running! No goals for the other team this time!!

- Stephanie

2 comments:

  1. dont think of it as "running" right now. just start off with a light loose jog. also run outside while its nice out. treadmills are so boring. when you run outside you can people watch and stuff. maybe go for a run on the highline?! goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jac! I was thinking the High Line would prob be the safest place for me to start, it should be empty in the AM. Glad I'm starting this in Fall so I can run outside!
    Yeah I definitely need to keep calm and slow so I don't get all worked up and bent out of shape hahaha
    Love, SH

    ReplyDelete