Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mexican Casserole

This is a recipe I improvised using the last of our ingredients in our house. I knew it would be a lot of food and it was super filling.  You could definitely add this into some soft tortillas or buy a natural tortilla chip to dip in.


Ingredients
3 cups uncooked long-grain rice & 7 1/2 cups of veggie broth (to cook rice) OR 2 cups quinoa & 4
   cups of veggie broth
5 potatoes, diced smaller than normal
3 Tablespoons vegan butter
2 cups corn
1/3 cup diced onion
Green onions to taste
1 clove garlic
3 cans of black beans
2 red peppers
1 diced tomato
1 bag vegan cheddar "cheese"
Texas Pete Hot Sauce (to taste)
Taco Seasoning (Cayenne Red Pepper, Chili Powder, Onion Powder, Ground Cumin- all to taste)
Cilantro to top casserole

Temporary photo until I put up my own. Borrowed from SFZ.
Directions
1. Cook rice or quinoa in vegetable broth.  This will take approximately 20-30 minutes so be sure to start this first.
2. Dice potatoes and add to a large skillet with butter. Stir frequently on medium-high heat until cooked.
3. Add Corn, onion, garlic, black beans, peppers, tomato, and taco seasonings when potatoes are fully cooked.
4. Add cooked rice to potatoes & veggies mixture. Stir, test for seasonings.  Add more if needed.
5. Add Texas Pete Hot sauce to taste
6. Get casserole dish.  Put a 2" layer of this mixture and top with vegan "cheese". Add another layer of mixture, top with "cheese". Repeat until whole mixture is used. Top whole casserole with "cheese" and cilantro.
7. Cook in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.


Let me know if you've made this & what substitutions you made (like refried beans, or any other veggies!)

3 comments:

  1. Lacey,

    I want you to know that everytime the girls at work good-naturedly make fun of my "skinny girl" brown-bag lunches (as they all bring back MickeyD's everyday - the horror), I think of your blog and smile :)

    Today I brought a homemade egg salad sandwich (I'm sorry, I can't ever go dairy-free, I love me some real cheeeeeese),
    an organic peach,
    craisins (and I looked at the label: "cranberries, sugar" - I could pronounce everything!),
    pretzels and cheese slices,
    and a granola bar.

    Did I do good? I know it's not 100%, but I'm starting to reach more towards the goal I commented about in another o your posts, about just eating less junk for starters :)

    P.S. This recipe sounds delish - gonna try it!

    Love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Erin...I'm so proud of you!! And being 100% will never happen. I have my occasional slip ups. Don't condemn yourself. You're putting hard work into eating well and it's never easy. Be proud of the healthy steps you're making. I'm sure your body is loving you for it. Your lunch sounds so yummy and healthy!

    And if you ever have a goal in mind of going dairy free, there are TONS of products out there (like vegan cheese, soy yogurt, & such) that taste just as good. Just know that you still have options. We keep vegan cheese in the house all the time and it still works with our sandwiches & other meals & we don't even know the difference anymore. But, again, the changes you make are solely up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Never force yourself to do something that you don't believe in or feel like you could do without being miserable all the time. Baby steps!

    I'm so proud of you, Erin! And those people who make fun of your bagged lunches? Just brush them off. It gets frustrating to know not everyone is supportive, but just know at the end of the day you will feel great and be preventing a lot of medical issues in the future by replacing those chips with your yummy organic peach. We support you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement Lacey!!!

    ReplyDelete