Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 11: Holy Shin!

Boy, oh boy....I have the worst shin splint on my right leg from running so much.  It's even sensitive to touch. Ugh! So, it looks as though I won't be running for a few days.  The downfall? I don't belong to a gym so low-impact, yet powerful, exercises like the elliptical are not an option.  I think I'll just focus on some strength training and other awesome things like yoga & pilates.  Have any other idea? Let me know!

Felt: I slept extremely well last night so I felt well rested.  My shin is really hurting, though and has been progressively getting worse as the days go by.  I need to incorporate some more low-impact exercises.
Ate: B- Banana & granola. L- Big Salad & pumpkin seeds. D- Carrot, Fruit smoothie, and trail mix.  Honestly, I wasn't very hungry today but I really need to start forcing myself to eat a lot more food especially at breakfast and dinner.  I tend to eat the biggest meal at lunch.


I honestly made this because I still had a ton of strawberries and blueberries in the fridge and I knew that they'd go bad by Monday if I didn't use up a bunch of them.  Here's how I made it:
-Cut up 5 strawberries & 1 banana & put into a blender. Add a handful of blueberries.
-Add a cup of ice
-Add 1/2 cup of 100% orange juice
-Add 1 cup of low-fat yogurt
-BLEND & ENJOY! 
Mmmmmmmmm. It's such a refreshing but heathy dessert.  This should be more than enough for 2 people.

Exercise: A mile and a half run this morning.
Weight Lost: Six pounds!



Quote to think about:
"The modern food and drug industry has converted almost the entire modern world to a new religion- a massive cult of pleasure-seekers, consuming coffee, cigarettes, soft drinks, candy, chocolate, alcohol, processed foods, fast foods and concentrated dairy fat (cheese) in a self-indulgent orgy of destructive behavior, who believe that medications are their saviors for every resultant medical disaster." -Dr. Joel Fuhrman, MD

I just finished reading "Eat to Live" this morning, a wonderful recommendation from Melinda (a coworker in the Philly SD).  I will write a review of this book in the next week, but very carefully, because I know how sensitive we can be to drastic changes.  I want to write my words carefully.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lacey, I'm so glad you're keeping up on your blog posts about your weight loss journey! So, inspiring!!

    I just have a couple of nuggets of information for you today. Why do I keep butting in? Because I'm your Aunt and that's what Aunts do. Anyway, strawberries and blueberries are easy to freeze. Throw them in some kind of freezer worthy container (ziplock bag) and throw them in the freezer. Done. Freeze them in single serving sizes for your smoothies. Then just toss them in the blender frozen and use less ice. You still get a nice thick smoothie but with more flavor.

    If you have some decent trails to hike anywhere nearby, head for those hills! Hiking around even low grade hills will burn some significant calories and you get some fresh air. If you're trudging through the snow, so much the better!

    And last but not least, love the quote! Reminded me of a recent experiment where some lab mice were fed nothing but junk food (typical American diet) for thirty days. At the end of the thirty days, they were returned to their usual healthy diet. The mice wouldn't eat. They were so addicted to the junk food that they would rather starve than eat healthy food. Kind of explains a lot, doesn't it.

    Ok, I'm done rambling...I promise.
    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete