Friday, April 15, 2011

Strawberries and...

Happy Tax Day!  We did ours in February, but for those of you rushing at the last minute...stop reading this and get to work!  Sheesh, this post will still be here when you're done.  Tsk tsk.

Mike & I went grocery shopping this weekend and the store had a pretty good deal on strawberries.  Of course, you know I love me some strawberries.   So, I bought more than normal in hopes of finding something to do with them before they go bad.  Next week I'll be canning some jam but that's for another day and a different psost.  I decided to have fun with the dehydrator.

Years ago, I used to love the pre-packaged instant oatmeal in all flavors like blueberry, strawberries and cream, maple & brown sugar.  Plopping fresh strawberries in your oatmeal just doesn't have the same effect so, for a healthier and tastier version of those sugar-loaded processed oats that we all love so much, try this Strawberry & Vanilla Oatmeal.  

But before you can actually make this recipe, you'll have to dehydrate some strawberries to get the same effect as the instant oats.  I sliced up about 25 strawberries into 1/4" slices.  Just chop off the leaves on the top and continue chopping all the way down to the bottom of the strawberry.  When you get to the bottom and have that little tiny piece, eat it. It's super yummy.  Throw the slices in your dehydrator for about 10 hours & you're set.  Put them in a airtight container and you now have a big pile of dehydrated strawberry chips to add to your oatmeal or to munch on with your lunch. They're even good on salads. Or make a dried fruit mixture with some Dried Apples and Honey Bananas.  Either way, they'll last much longer than fresh strawberries and you'll have a million fun uses for them.  I know a lot of raw health bars or cookies call for dehydrated strawberries, too.  If I try any of them out I'll be sure to let you all know!

Today's meals will include Strawberry & Vanilla Oatmeal for breakfast, a nice big salad for lunch, and Raw Lasagna for dinner.  I'll be cleaning the car, getting some business paper work together, plan some new recipes for next week, and hopefully find some time for a nice afternoon nap.

For those of you who are curious, house hunting is going well.  We met with the loan officer yesterday, who was absolutely wonderful, and it looks like we're moving forward on bidding on the house we love so much!  The downfall?  No body makes money trees for all this cash we're going to need. Haha. Who knew buying a house would be so expensive.

Until next time, take a peaceful walk sans your cell phone today.  Brilliant? I know. You can thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment