Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Healthy Hobbies

Mental health is just as important as physical health. Hobbies outside of work can be a life saver. It's easy to get caught up in your career and family... but what is something you do for yourself? Taking a weekly break for a hobby is a great way to get some alone time and enjoy something you really love.

If you have been feeling stressed and depressed a hobby could be something to lift you out of a funk. My doctor was the one who told me to start working on a hobby, just for me, at the height of my sickness and the beginning of my dairy/gluten free lifestyle. I love having my own thing that I get to work on that I truly enjoy doing. 


A hobby keeps you interested and educated about the things you love to do. Hobbies are also great for your mental health - it gives you a break from your working world, and also increases your brain activity when you do something new.

For my self prescribed hobby - I chose to focus on photography. I've always loved it, but never did anything to move forward with it. Now I keep a simple blog with my photos and favorite quotes. I have no pressure to post consistently, it's just something I love to do. I have since turned my hobby into a freelance photography business. I also love writing this blog with Lacey, it's been therapeutic to share my story. Both hobbies challenge me to learn new skills and put my art out there.

Hobbies are also a great way to make new friends and meet entire groups of new people you never knew existed. Whatever it is you love to do, do it for you. Carve out time for yourself every week. It will make you a better friend, husband, girlfriend, son, etc.


HOBBY IDEAS:
- Fishing
- Hiking
- Camping
- Sports
- Writing
- Drawing
- Painting
- Dancing
- Swimming
- Dog (train it / exercise)
- Learn a foreign language
- Make jewelry
- Start a blog
- Start a collection
- Travel


> What do you love to do for yourself? How will you start carving out 'you' time?


- Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment