Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Vegetable Sushi

Yesterday, I took my first shot at making sushi at home. I did this without a bamboo mat, which is a basic staple in sushi making, but I made it work with a tea towel topped with parchment paper. I do suggest you buy a mat, as I will be ordering one soon. They're inexpensive, and if you're a sushi lover and no longer want to pay the outrageous prices some sushi places charge, it's a much cheaper alternative.

Here is my basic, at home recipe for 2 rolls.
My first rolls!
Ingredients:
2 sheets Nori (you can find this in the 'International' food aisle of your grocery store with the  Asian cuisine)
1/4 Avocado, cut in long, 1/4" slices
1 Carrot, cut in long, 1/4" slices
Small slices of fresh Ginger
1/2 Cucumber, deseeded, cut in long 1/4" slices
Horseradish (if you can't find wasabi) OR Wasabi to taste
Soy sauce to taste
2 cups white rice & water per directions*

*I'm not a huge advocate of white rice, but it's truly the only rice that sticks just right for sushi. If I can find a long grain brown rice that sticks, I'll be sure to let you know.


Directions:
1. Prepare your 2 cups of rice & water earlier in the day.  You'll want to give it the chance to refrigerate so it's not moist/warm when making the sushi. You do NOT want to get your Nori wet. It will ruin the nori.
2. Lay your nori flat on your bamboo mat wrapped in saran wrap or on your tea towel topped with parchment paper, whichever method you prefer.
3. Dampen your hands just a little to keep rice from sticking (but not enough to get the nori wet). Scoop a handful of rice and add a thin later to your nori until the entire piece is covered, up to the very edges.
5. In the middle, pile strips of avocado, carrot, cucumber, and just a few small pieces of ginger (ginger has a very potent taste, don't overdo it).
6. Roll your sushi slowly. Be sure to keep it compact. Since it's very difficult to describe, here's a video showing you the proper way.



7. Slice accordingly. Top with wasabi and soy sauce.

My first attempt at sushi!! Turned out pretty good.


Keep in mind, you may switch out ingredients as you wish. Add in different veggies (like asparagus, zucchini, bok choy, green peppers) and other yummy toppings like sesame seeds. Fish is popular but sushi doesn't require that it be raw! Grilled salmon or tuna as a treat...mmmmmm.  Also, make sure when you're done with your Nori (my package comes with 10 sheets) you keep it in a zip-lock bag to ensure it stays dry. Seriously, once it gets moist in the least bit, it's ruined.

Hope this shows that suhsi is very simple to make at home (and cheaper)!


-Lacey

1 comment:

  1. Check your international food stores or health food stores for "sushi" rice, which turns out the perfect kind of "sticky." I haven't made sushi in a while, but I think you can find brown sushi rice, too.

    ReplyDelete