Monday, April 8, 2013

Easy Greek Salad

So I've never been a big salad eater. And the salads I do love are just as unhealthy (cough Caesar Salad cough) as getting a crappy sandwich or pizza for lunch. I studied abroad in Athens, Greece when I was in college -- and besides it being the best choice I ever made in my college career, I also got a love for a healthy salad out of it.

In college, we always used to walk around the city and eat outside in the gallery of restaurants and cafe that line the sidewalks. I was shocked to see that their truly Greek salad did not contain any lettuce, but just tomatoes, cucumbers and some amazing Greek feta cheese.

I loved seeing the Acropolis every day on my way to class :)

I don't know why but I haven't made it in a while. I just did for lunch and it was SO EASY to make and hit the spot! My husband and I are headed to Greece for our 1 year wedding anniversary so this is the perfect pre-game.

This is a salad good enough for the Greek Gods:
Tomatoesprovide an excellent amount of vitamin C and beta-carotene, and a good amount of vitamin E. In terms of phytonutrients, tomatoes are basically off the chart. Reduced risk of heart disease is an area of health benefits in which tomatoes truly excel > antioxidant support and regulation of fats in the bloodstream.
Cucumbers - have three types of phytonutrients found in cucumbers provide us with valuable antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer benefits
Olive Oil - lowers bad cholesterol, lowers blood pressure, reduced risk of cancer, protects from oxidative damage and it helps with cognitive function (dude I have got to add more olive oil into my diet!!)

Still can't believe I went to college in this wonderful city - so lucky

Simple Greek Salad Recipe:
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 cucumber
- Feta cheese
- Olive oil
> Dice up the tomato and cucumber (use as much as you want),  throw in feta with it and sprinkle some olive oil to mix it up

Fresh, tasty & brings me back to my Athens college glory days :)

This was so easy to make in the office and really refreshing to eat in the middle of the day. Heavier lunches tend to give me an end of the day crash, so this is a great lunch to depend on. I'm keeping olive oil at my desk and can grab a tomato and cucumber from a deli anytime I want to!


via

1 comment: