Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Answered Questions

I have had a lot of people recently ask me a lot of questions about the wedding surrounding the flowers, music, wedding party, colors, etc.  So, here are the answers to those questions.  I will update soonish with photos and funny stories about this special weekend.

Colors: Eggplant Purple & Olive Green.  Girls' dresses were Eggplant and boys' vests & ties were Olive Green.

Flowers:
We got our flowers from a friend of the family who is basically a distributor to floral shops.  The concept was to have a very natural/wild look.  Nothing too structured or one color.  Jess, Becky, Mom, and tons of other people put together all the flowers the day before the wedding.  Yes. Including the bouquets. They looked beautiful and here's a little secret...for ALL the flowers, seriously, all of them (bouquets, centerpieces, boutonnieres) ...$183. Go ahead, let that sink in a moment  I normally don't throw out what we spent on this wedding, but that is one thing I'm especially proud of, thanks to my mother knowing EVERYONE in town.  If there's any advice I can give brides...do the flowers yourself.  It's not worth spending $2,000 when you can definitely do it yourself. Look for a wholesale place and save yourself the money.  I think our flowers looked just as good as any other wedding I've been to who used a professional florist.  Here is the list:
Alstromeria
Orange Lilies (in bride & bridesmaids bouquets)
Hypericum Berries
Snapdragons
Solidago
Italian Ruscus
Plumosa Fern

Music:
Intro to parents/wedding party/Mr. & Mrs. Bauer- Yes "I've seen all good People"
First Dance- Dave Matthews Band "Crush"
Fathers/Daughter Dance- Loudon Wainwright III "Daughter"
Mother/Son- Stevie Ray Vaughan "Lenny"
Last Dance- Coldplay "Strawberry Swing"

Wedding Party:
Maid of Honor: Jess Rousseau (friend)
Bridesmaids: Brynn Kurczewski (Lacey's sister), Toni Kurczewski (Lacey's sister), Melanie Bauer (Mike's sister)
Best Man: Sam Bauer (Mike's brother)
Groomsmen: Paul Roman (friend), Ian McGray (friend), Charles Craig (friend)

Food:
Buzz & Ned's Real Pit BBQ located in Richmond VA.  I highly recommend eating there if you're in town.  They've been on the food network and beat out Bobbly Flay's pork BBQ, which we had at the wedding.  Hope you loved it as much as I did!
Menu:
Jumbo Spiced Shrimp (appetizer)
Pulled Pork BBQ
Baby Back Ribs
Homemade Macaroni & 3 Cheeses
Chile-Cheese Cornbread
Cucumber & Onion Salad
Fresh Herb Green Beans
Garlic Mashed Potatoes

DJ:
Choice Entertainment, Ron Gilder.  Personally, I thought he was perfect.  He didn't try to be the young hip guy that makes everyone feel uncomfortable but he definitely read the crowd well.  He played requests and went with the flow even though I didn't have a perfectly set itinerary.  He was definitely flexible and made a true effort to get names correct BEFORE the event (I can't tell you how many DJ's wouldn't even try to figure out the correct pronunciation of Kurczewski).

Tent/Tables/Chairs:
Williamsburg Event Rentals.  Probably our biggest expense, but I loved having the wedding outside and the company was very professional. 

Plates/"silver"ware/Cups
Smarty Had A Party (online).  You can't believe how many people said "Wait, this is all disposable? The silverware looks real!".  I loved not having to wake up early the next day to wash hundreds of forks, plates, and cups.  And yet, it still looked professional.

PHOTOGRAPHY!!!! (yes, this gets a special all caps & exclamation points galore):
Dani Leigh Photography (danileightphotography.com), a very close friend to my cousin, Janice Reyes, was incredible to drive down to Charles City from the Baltimore Area to capture the little moments throughout the day.  I didn't just get her because my cousin knew her.  I got her because I trusted her, I adored her artwork, and we clicked almost instantly.  Janice was the 2nd shooter as well and took absolutely beautiful photos despite admitting that she would never shoot a wedding again. Hahahaha. Janice Reyes Photography (http://www.janicereyesphotography.com), based out of Austin, TX, focuses on children & families, and if you're in need of that, contact her because she's incredibly talented.  Check out both of their Pages on facebook and their websites.  Send them your love and spread their names.

Property:
Mr. & Mrs. Jay Wise.  They are Uncle Pete's father/mother-in-law and were so gracious to allow us to take over their property for the weekend.  I heard you all say how beautiful it was and I can only give credit to them and to the Bauer family that also lives there & maintains the property.

Thank you to Susan Wise-Bauer & Patty Kirkland for being the people I really needed this weekend to focus on details.  Between calling the caterers and DJ the day before to make sure everything was set, & running to get the pizza for all the out-of-towners (that's not even a SNIPPET of all the work they did), you absolutely took some of the stress off of my shoulders.  I hope it wasn't too crazy for you, and that you know how much I appreciate the focus you gave to this event.  Thank you.

Thank you to our families who came 2 days early to help keep me sane and kick 1 of our kegs the night before the wedding.  Thus forcing Norm to drive out the morning of the wedding for another. Hahahha, only at our wedding.

Thank you to everyone who drove so insanely far to be there.  That was the hardest part for us both, knowing that if we had it in Charles City it would force a lot of people to say no due to the distance.  But so many of you put in the effort to drive 6, 7, 8, or more hours just to get there. (Especially, Hambone. God bless you my friend. Trains, buses, rental cars, etc to come from Chicago. We love you for it).  We hope you felt accommodated and were able to enjoy the extended weekend.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I can't say it enough.
If you have any more questions, leave a comment below and I'll try to get it answered soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment