Sunday, November 20, 2011

Vegan Thanksgiving Recipe #6: Vegan Pumpkin Pie

So, I've never made vegan pumpkin pie.  Now, I'm a pro at making "regular" pumpkin pie, but vegan...this is a first. Because of this, I can't promise that this recipe will be a success. Every recipe I've looked at simply replaced the evaporated milk with silken tofu. I'm choosing to also replace the sugar with dark agave nectar.  I'm still deciding on how I want to make the crust (or if I'll pre-buy) and whether or not I want to use fresh pumpkin (like, scrape it and puree myself). We'll see.

I can't imagine this pie tasting horrible. I mean...it's PUMPKIN. Pumpkin is amazing. Here are what pretty much all the recipes say:

Photo from Simply Recipes
Ingredients:
3/4 pound silken tofu
1 16 ounce can pumpkin puree
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 crust

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375
Mix all ingredients (blend/stir/whatever works)
Pour into pie-crust. Bake for 1 hour OR until toothpick comes out clean.

(I've seen some people review these recipes and say that their pie definitely needed more time in the oven. After I make this Thanksgiving Day, I'll update the recipe as I see fit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment