Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sweet Potato Chili

You could absolutely do this recipe in a crock pot, but I use this as my quick, throw together and make in less than 30 minutes recipe. I'm also a little nervous the sweet potato will get mushy by the end of the crock pot session. I adapted this from eatingwell.com's recipe

Ingredients:
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1-2 sweet potatos, diced (with skin)
1/2 onion
1 celery stalk, cut into 1/2 inch sections
1 garlic clove, crushed/diced
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
Dash of onion powder
Dash of salt & pepper
3 cups vegetable broth
Handful of sliced mushrooms
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
1 cup diced tomato (canned or fresh)

Fresh cilantro for garnish



Directions:
1. In an oiled medium-high head skillet, heat diced sweet potato, onion, and celery for 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Turn heat to medium and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add vegetable broth and cover for 10 minutes or until sweet potato is soft.
4. Add mushrooms, beans, corn and tomatoes. Reduce heat to low and let sit for 4-5 minutes covered.
5. Top with fresh cilantro.

This is from my regular veggie chili, since my phone lost all my photos from this cook session.

-Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment