Monday, June 11, 2012

Weekend Getaway: How to Pack Your Own Food

WHEW!!! Where has the time gone? I know I've neglected you all but we've been traveling lots and trying to focus on finishing up house projects. Now it's time to get down to business. #1: Eating well while on a road trip.

My biggest struggle with traveling is the food. Fast food is tempting. Here's what you need to do:

Pack a cooler.
Load it with tons of heathy food.
Get ready for your friends to laugh at you.
Eat well!

The 'how to pack is easy'...it's the 'what to pack' that gets hard.  Don't worry, I've made a list for you!

Honestly, it was a pain having to lug the cooler around but once the weekend ended I was SO proud of myself for eating well. I will admit to you all though...I had one slip up: NY Pizza with girlfriends from college. I had one veggie slice with some wine. But for a 4 day weekend of traveling from VA to Philly, Philly to NYC, then back to Philly for a night, and then back to VA, over 18 hours of driving...I did pretty darn well.

Here's what I packed.


1. Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal  (enough for 4 breakfast meals)


3. Lots of snick snacks: raisins, pumpkin seeds, dried pineapple rings, all natural fruit snacks.

4. Sushi Bowl (Rice in one container, veggies in the other- carrot, cucumber, avocado, ginger)

5. Individual salads topped with a moist paper towel for ultimate freshness.

6. All of my condiments for meals. Gluten/Dairy Free dressing, soy sauce and horseradish for sushi bowls, BBQ sauce, peanut butter for my apples.

7. 2 apples and a pear



10. Italian Spiced Roasted Garbanzo Beans (my "croutons" for my salad)

11. Fruit salad (pineapple, blueberries, and banana)


13. A few containers of Naked Coconut Water.

Rita was a little jealous that I didn't pack her with the food.
Pack me with you!


All packed up!

Cooler with cold stuff and the bag for my snick snacks (nuts, raisins, seeds, granola bars).



What will you pack for your weekend getaway?

-Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment