Monday, May 7, 2012

Sushi Creativity

This week, after leaving the Farmer's Market, having picked up all I need for this weeks meals, including my traditional vegetable sushi, I had to run to the grocery store to pick up some nori. To my shock, they were out, and I was distressed. So, I had to improvise.

This is what I came up with.

Sushi Lettuce Wraps & Sushi Quick Bowls

This is everything you need for both recipes:
Wasabi
Avocado
Carrot
Cucumber
Soy Sauce
Brown Rice (cooked)
Fresh Ginger
Whole Romance Lettuce Leaves (for the wraps)

Directions for the Wraps:
Take a lettuce leave and spread on a very thin layer of wasabi. Toss in your sliced ginger, sliced carrot, avocado wedges, and cucumber sticks. Top off with some rice and add a little soy sauce. Fold up your wrap and enjoy!




If you're not a fan of using lettuce as a wrap, try the quick bowl.  This is perfect for packing as a lunch so you don't have the hassle & mess of a wrap (I'll admit it was a little messy). Plus, no need to heat! Great for those on-the-go days or jobs.

Directions for the Quick Bowl: 
Place your rice in the bottom of the bowl. Chop your vegetables into cubes and throw on top. Take a few small dabs of wasabi and mix into your bowl. Top off with soy sauce.



Hopefully this gives you some new and fun ways to get that sushi taste (especially since I know some of you hate nori).  Honestly, the bowls are my favorite, this way I can take it to work with me and not have to worry about heating it up. I think I'll try to come up with more creative "quick bowls" for non-heat lunches so I know some of you don't always have the luxury of refrigeration and/or heating appliances.

-Lacey

2 comments:

  1. I've really been needing no-heat lunches for my long days at school - thanks Lacey :) Now to get myself some wasabiiii

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you struggle to find wasabi, horseradish works just as great! Glad this helped you!

    ReplyDelete