Monday, July 9, 2012

Avocado & Tomato Summer Wrap (or Sandwich)

I've slowly come to enjoy avocado. Previous to my nutrient-dense eating, I hated the texture of this crazy green fruit.  But after learning of the crazy-awesome health benefits of it (such as this***), I started adding it slowly to my diet. Now I rather enjoy it, especially on my salads in small chunks and when making my funky guacamole. This is a great healthy sandwich you can put together that incorporates some avocado. I prefer the lettuce wrap version (find a big piece of romaine lettuce to wrap around your ingredients) but these photos show you the version with toasted bread as I was out of lettuce that day.

Ingredients: 
Sliced avocado
Sliced tomato
Your favorite dressing
Bread or romaine lettuce
Pinch of salt & pepper

Directions:
Toast your bread or lay our your romaine lettuce.
Spread your favorite dressing on the lettuce or bread. I used Walden Farms Thousand Island (gluten free, dairy free, and everything else-free). You could also try with with my homemade Sundried-Tomato & Macadamia Nut Pesto.


Layer on your avocado and tomato and sprinkle with a pinch of salt & fresh cracked pepper.

Feel free to add a side of your favorite fruit, veggies, salad, nuts, or my personal favorite, Quinoa Tabbouleh, as shown below! 

Happy summer eating!
-Lacey


***This one factoid on avocados had me especially impressed:
Better Nutrient Absorption: Research has found that certain nutrients are absorbed better when eaten with avocado. In one study, when participants ate a salad containing avocados, they absorbed five times the amount of carotenoids (a group of nutrients that includes lycopene and beta carotene) than those who didn't include avocados.

1 comment:

  1. Lacey, I love this type of "Samich" my version is a bit different as I use bean sprouts and hummus on mine... Mmmm Mmmm Good!

    ReplyDelete