Monday, September 10, 2012

Oatmeal On The Run

Most mornings in the Bauer household consist of oatmeal for breakfast, but to be honest, it get's annoying to have to use up a pot every morning to cook it (no microwaved oatmeal for us...YUCK!), especially the steel cut oats that can take up to 30 minutes. My husband is all about a quick breakfast since he already gets up at 4:45. The faster his morning routine, the later he can sleep.

I looked around for some type of oatmeal muffin/baked oatmeal that I could make at the beginning of the week and the best recipe I've found, by far, is Healthful Pursuit's Baked Oatmeal To Go.  Check out the blog. It's full of tasty, healthy recipes, most of which can be made vegan!

After looking through her recipe, I decided to tweek it based on what I had in the house and what flavors me and my husband really like. This is what I came up with.


Ingredients:

WET:
1 flax egg (1 Tbsp milled flax seed mixed with 2 Tbsp warm water. Let sit for a few minutes until it gets the consistency of an egg white)
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 mashed banana
1 1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp maple syrup or 3 Tbsp agave nectar(optional)

DRY:
2.5 cups rolled oats
2 Tbsp milled flaxseed
3 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar (or use 3 Tbsp molasses in wet ingredients)

Toppings:
Thinly sliced apple
Raisins
Maple Syrup

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin pan with muffin liners. Spray a little with non-stick spray.
2. Mix wet ingredients in food processor or blender (I would say mix with a whisk but it really doesn't break up the banana enough.)
3. Mix dry ingredients in bowl.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry & MIX MIX MIX.
My whisk broke. =(
5. Pour mixture into muffin cups and top with raisins and apple.


6.  Bake for 26-30 minutes. I needed closer to 32 just because I use stoneware. If you're using a regular pan you'll probably need closer to 27. Check by using a toothpick and making sure it comes out clean.
Raisins and Apple slices on top!

Mmmm, the perfect breakfast!

Store these in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Eat by pulling off muffin liner, putting on a small plate, and heating in microwave for 30-40 seconds. Then pour a little maple syrup on the top and eat with a fork. You could definitely eat these cold if you wanted but I love the taste of warm oatmeal in the morning.

30 seconds for breakfast!? Can't beat it! And like I mentioned earlier, check out Healthful Pursuit for all of her recipes!  Couldn't have made this without that incredible blog! She gives you ideas on her recipe page of other toppings you could use for these baked oatmeal cups.  

That's the fun in cooking..find some recipes and make it your own!

-Lacey


No comments:

Post a Comment